Traditional Dwelling in Malkaganj, New Delhi
Study of Traditional Dwelling, Malkaganj, New Delhi, India
ORIENTATION - It is oriented towards north-west direction.
- This house more known as Khanna house was built for Khanna family after independence in 1952.
- Presently Mr. And Mrs. Khanna stay here with their two daughters as other family members have moved abroad.
- More than half of the house is on rent since the time it was built.
WHY IS IT DIFFERENT TO OTHER TRADITIONAL DWELLINGS?
- This house in the post independence era was built with a very modernized outlook but it fulfills each and every requirement of a traditional house.
- Unlike other traditional houses this house has a huge courtyard surrounded by walls on the three sides leaving the north-east side for good lighting.
- The most important element which adorns the house with a modernized look is the porch in front side of the house.
- The climate of Delhi is composite.
- Its characteristics change from season to season.
- It has basically three seasons comprising hot and dry, warm and humid and cold and dry.
- Presence of large number of windows on the south west wall to utilize the winter sun.
- Presence of roshandans over each and every window transforms light all over in the house.
- The courtyard is oriented in such a way that the open side gives it light and heat in the morning and prevents it in the afternoon.
- The building has mezzanine floors over the service rooms which are comparatively cooler.
- The patterns exploded on the front boundary wall is very much inspired from the “vedicas” with 2 perpendicular and horizontal lines.
- Parallel patterns run on the balcony and also the roof railings.
- Various traditional patterns are engraved on the doors and the door frames.
- Typical jali running longitudinally on the exterior wall of the staircase.
DIFFERENT VIEWS OF THE ONE SIDE OPEN COURTYARD
VIEW OF SEMI-BUILT STUCTURES ON THE ROOF
- These are half walls built to define volume to the otherwise empty terrace.
- Due to this defining of volume there was enough privacy to sleep during summers.
Ground Floor Plan